City of Laura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City of Laura

A Second Life Gorean Sim Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Carnival!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Markos
Forum Admin
Markos

Number of posts : 111
Homestone : Laura
Role : Administrator
SL Name : Markos Binder
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Carnival!!! Empty
PostSubject: Carnival!!!   Carnival!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 5:47 pm

Greetings Citizens!

The period of march 11 to march 15th is the passing hand of the 12th month, known on Gor as Carnival! Carnival is somewhat akin to Mardi Gras on earth. People often wear masks, get away with things they normally couldn't, and generally made merry.

I am happy to announce that Laura will be celebrating Carnival in a big way! Current plans are as follows:
Tarn and Tharlarion Races
Feasting
A parade
Games
Slave Dance contest
inviting the Troupe of Wonders back to town

These events will be going on over the five days, and on march 15th is Kajuralia, the festival of slaves! Where the slaves are crazy, and the free hide in fear!

If you have any ideas for other events, or you wish to help with planning or execution, please let myself, another council member, or linnet know soon, so we can get things set up!
-Admin Markos

More about Carnival:
Celebrated in most Gorean cities on the last week of the year, the 12th passage hand, Carnival is reminiscent of Earth Mardi-Gras events.

...In many Gorean cities, accordingly, the Twelfth Passage Hand, the five days preceding the Waiting Hand, that time to which few Goreans look forward with eagerness, is carnival. The fact that it was now only two days to the Twelfth Passage Hand, explained the presence of the unusual number of theatrical and carnival troupes now in the city.
---Players of Gor, 1:10

During this week of theater, performers and entertainers, a number of opportunities to use the cover of a mask and disguise in order to explore and take part in certain games of the nature which allows a certain level of freedom which is otherwise looked at as improper especially for women. One such game is the game of favors, a race in which free woman must hand out ten scarves which in turn are traded for kisses. (See games page)
Back to top Go down
https://cityoflaura.forumotion.net
Linnet
Refined Wordsmith
Linnet

Number of posts : 72
SL Name : Linnet Foggarty
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Carnival!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carnival!!!   Carnival!!! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 2:34 pm

I'm REALLY looking forward to this and although it has been and will continue to be a lot of work to schedule at least a few events for each of these days I'm hoping everyone has a good time and uses the "Carnival Days" theme in general to generate their own RP stories during this time.

Remember to check the City of Laura website for specific event details, but the following is a draft of the overall theme of Carnival Days.

A performers pavilion will be set up in the main square of Laura. Entertainers, musicians, poets, and story tellers from all over Gor are invited to drop in and use the pavilion to show their skills and talents. Visitors are invited to come enjoy the hospitality of Laura and the chance to see a variety of performances.

General festivities and merry making. All are encouraged to dress in their finest most colorful garbs and even wear festive masks as the situation permits. Panther girls will find this a good time to sneak into the city in disguise as many will be distracted by the celebrations. She-Urts and thieves will prosper in this time with bountiful pockets to be picked and leftover food and drink are certain to be plentiful. Merchants will find many eager customers for their wares and are welcome to set up a small low prim “prop” to do so within the city walls, contact Markos Binder for details. Basically, think “Mardi Gras” without the beads but with more than your usual flash of flesh.

It all ends on Sunday March 15 with a day long celebration of Kajuralia! Yes, that's the part I'm looking forward to most.
Back to top Go down
muse
Devotee of the Quills
muse

Number of posts : 193
Homestone : wherever my Master is
Role : kajira
SL Name : Muse Rhiadra
Registration date : 2008-08-01

Carnival!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carnival!!!   Carnival!!! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 10:56 am

I have been working hard to come up with a prank better than last year's to play on my Master.
Back to top Go down
http://muse-kajira.blogspot.com
Markos
Forum Admin
Markos

Carnival!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carnival!!!   Carnival!!! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 4:09 pm

I am sure you all saw the notice by now, but the carnival festival and Kajuralia has been moved back a week, due to all the folks who are unable to make it this week.
More to follow.
Back to top Go down
Linnet
Refined Wordsmith
Linnet

Carnival!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carnival!!!   Carnival!!! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 7:52 pm

The website has been updated with more information about the upcoming Carnival. See here for details.

http://cityoflaura.multiply.com/journal/item/25/Carnival_Days_In_Laura_March_18_to_March_22.

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS

If anyone would like to take the lead on any of the events mentionned, or add an additional event, please contact Linnet or Markos, we need all the extra hands we can find and would love to see other events happen during this week.

We look forward to seeing all citizens and friends of Laura during this celebration, especially those that have been busy OOC, or in RL, or in other places in SL.

It's time to celebrate.
It's time to roleplay.
It's time to come home.
Back to top Go down
Markos
Forum Admin
Markos

Carnival!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carnival!!!   Carnival!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 12:29 pm

Ok folks, Carnival is upon us! I am asking every citizen to be in the city whenever possible, to help make this a fun event for everyone. We may have quite a few visitors who need to be served by slave girls, entertained, and generally RPed with. Get to know your fellow citizens you haven't met, and the prospective citizens as well, and make them feel welcome.

For those of you who have been complaining about having something to do, here it is. Let's wow the Gorean community with our abilities.

Most of all, ENJOY YOURSELVES, its Carnival!!!
Back to top Go down
Markos
Forum Admin
Markos

Carnival!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carnival!!!   Carnival!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 10:32 am

Hello again, everyone!
The first night of Carnival was a fun time! If you missed the Free Women begging for kisses, never fear, the contest runs until Saturday. Ladies, if you don't have your scarves, IM AcaciaSage Fairymeadow to get yours, and start the begging!

Tonight at 6pm we have Tarn Races, followed at 7:30 by slave dance exhibitions in the tavern. And of course a general continuation of the carnival atmosphere!

One thing we missed last night was a strong slave presence, Ceri and Linn did a great job, but were alone for most of the time. C'mon girls, where are you hiding? I promise not to let the Free Women get you!
Back to top Go down
Arthor
Devotee of the Quills
Arthor

Number of posts : 149
Homestone : Tancred's Landing
Role : Merchant
SL Name : Arthor Landar
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Carnival!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carnival!!!   Carnival!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 11:21 am

I guess you will not see many Euro-citizens at the carnival activities. Most of them are 9 hours ahead of SL (Uk-people 8 hours). So when an event starts at 06:00PM SL-time it's 03:00AM for most Euro's and I am sure that almost 100% of them is unconscious at that time.

I know several Euro-citizens are playing pretty long in their evening time, often until well after midnight and I hope their alarm does not go off as early as mine every day. ((05:45AM daily and I sure am noticing lack of sleep over the past months.. but then again, it's fun playing in Gor))

Anyway, I hope the carnival attracts lots of people and make Laura the vivid city again it used to be when I joined last July. Wink

By the way, when are you introducing the 24-hour clock in the USA? It's so much easier to say it starts at 18:00 instead of 06:00PM Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Linnet
Refined Wordsmith
Linnet

Carnival!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carnival!!!   Carnival!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 11:35 am

Good Points Arthor, it is dissapointing the scheduled events will not be Euro-Friendly. I do feel the need to repeat what I've said in several threads here before, I think having Euro friendly events is a great idea, and much needed.

However, this requires someone from a Euro time zone to volunteer to take the lead on this. It's not too late, as my previous post indicates we are looking for volunteers to take the lead on any event, during Carnival or otherwise. I'd be more than willing to assist however I could, but ultimately it requires someone with that time zone to be there and be the contact. I don't feel comfortable scheduling and organizing something on befalf of the Euro time zone players knowing I can not be there, not even knowing what they want, or when a good time is.

Any citizen, at any time, is more than welcome to come up with an idea for an event and bring it to High Council and would probably get much support.

Hopefully you will be able to attend the swearing ceremony and feast on Saturday at 1300 as we purposefully tried to find the time that would accomodate as many as possible.
Back to top Go down
Markos
Forum Admin
Markos

Carnival!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carnival!!!   Carnival!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 11:48 am

As usual, Linn beat me to the heart of the issue. I would love to have events for euro time folks, I have tried on several occasions to do so, but we get no volunteers or no turnout. I scheduled a city meeting for euro time, on a saturday early, and two people attended.

I asked for volunteers to run games and such during the day, and no one responded. I can't be in at those times, they tie me to the desk here at work. Smile

If you, or anyone else for that matter, wants to host an event, just let Linn or I know, and we can get you set up. We just need someone to volunteer to do it.

As Linn said, the swearing ceremony and feast will be at 1pm SL time (1300 hours) saturday, and all are welcome to attend. I hope this time works out for everyone. Smile
Back to top Go down
Alexandrea Arabello
Apprentice Scribbler
Alexandrea Arabello

Number of posts : 29
Role : Wandering Soothsayer
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Carnival!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carnival!!!   Carnival!!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 1:51 pm

I wouldnt mind hosting an event for the times I am around. Just let me toss some ideas around in this empty head of mine and I'll let y'all know. Anyone else up for some late night events? It doesn't necessarily have to be a party or festival, just come on in and rp. I'm nice, I swear Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Markos
Forum Admin
Markos

Carnival!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carnival!!!   Carnival!!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 1:58 pm

Yeah yeah, nice. Wink

You want to host something, or even just be around to torment people, go for it! Initiative is what we need, I can't be everywhere at every time. Smile

This goes for all citizens, by the way. if you have an idea for an event, or something you would like to see, by all means pursue it. We used to have some sort of RP event scheduled every saturday, and some stuck in between to boot. With the economy, school, and RL (can someone PLEASE explain this RL thing?) it has been very difficult to get things "officially" scheduled.

If you have any ideas, want to host an event of some kind, whatever it is, please, go for it. Let me know what you are planning, and if you need any assistance in the planning or hosting.

-Markos
Back to top Go down
Alexandrea Arabello
Apprentice Scribbler
Alexandrea Arabello

Number of posts : 29
Role : Wandering Soothsayer
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Carnival!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carnival!!!   Carnival!!! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 2:03 pm

Don't tell nobody but ummm this rl thing...I heard it can be contagious. People disappear for days at a time. I'd be careful if I were you O.o
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Carnival!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carnival!!!   Carnival!!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Carnival!!!
Page 1 of 1