City of Laura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City of Laura

A Second Life Gorean Sim Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wardrobe Crisis.....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Anya Halderman
Refined Wordsmith
Anya Halderman

Number of posts : 59
Homestone : Laura!
Role : Free Woman
SL Name : Anya Halderman
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Wardrobe Crisis..... Empty
PostSubject: Wardrobe Crisis.....   Wardrobe Crisis..... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:11 am

What constitutes appropriate appearance in SL Gor for a FW? Most of us don't wear the full robes of concealment as described in the books, so what SHOULD we be aiming for when presenting ourselves?

Here are a few quotes to kick us off...

On Gor it is commonly only slaves, incidentally, who bare their legs . . .
Contrariwise, almost no free woman would bare her legs. They would not dare to do so. They would be horrified even to think of it. The scandal of such an act could ruin a reputation. It is said on Gor that any woman who bares her legs is a slave.

Mercenaries of Gor

(Speaking of a Free woman) She moved her left foot a little, causing the bangles on her left ankle to move slightly. Most free women, of course, would never wear such things. They are regarded as suitable and appropriate only for slaves.... With one hand she threw her hair back. It was loose. Slaves commonly wear their hair loose.
Mercenaries of Gor

Upswept hairdos are usually reserved for free women, or high slaves. They are a mark of status.
Dancer of Gor

Free women, incidentally, seldom, if ever, bare their shoulders. Doing so is almost like offering themselves for the collar. “If you would be stripped as a slave, then be a slave,” it is said. Similarly free women on Gor seldom, if ever, wear earrings, either of the natural or of any other variety, such as the clip variety. Earrings are regarded as being fit, rather, for slaves, and usually the lowest of slaves.
Dancer of Gor

As I have indicated, the lips and mouth of a female are commonly regarded as extremely sensuous features to a Gorean, hence the concern of many free women, particularly of high caste, in the high cities, to conceal them.
Renegades of Gor

I regarded her. Her small feet were on the lower, rounded crosspiece. Her toenails were not painted, of course. Such is almost unheard of among Gorean free women and is rare even among slaves.
Vagabonds of Gor

Free women in most of the high cities on Gor, particularly those of higher caste, go veiled in public. Also they commonly wear the robes of concealment which cover them, in effect, from head to toe. Even gloves are often worn. There are many reasons for this, having to do with modesty, security, and such.
Magicians of Gor

Needless to say, caste members do not always wear the caste colors. For example, a scribe would normally wear his blue when working but not always when at leisure. Goreans are fond of color and style in their raiment. They tend to be careful of their appearance and often delight in looking well.
Witness of Gor

Thoughts on this? Seen anything amazing, or on the flip side.. so appalled it ought to have earned a collar... lol Shocked
Back to top Go down
Aisha
Refined Wordsmith
Aisha

Number of posts : 78
Homestone : Laura
Role : Free woman
SL Name : Aisha Paule
Registration date : 2008-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Wardrobe Crisis.....   Wardrobe Crisis..... I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 7:38 am

Thank you for those quotes, many of them are well known to me. I try to dress myself accordingly for as much as it goes in SL.

I hate to wear something that many others wear too, so I do search for dresses that are a bit different but still can be seen as those for a freewoman. I always wear undershirts and pants ... and when my spaces in attachments leave room more than one veil.

Still it is sometimes difficult with the dresses, showing our daggers when we sit down ... But again a challange on its own.
Back to top Go down
Aria
Devotee of the Quills
Aria

Number of posts : 128
Homestone : Simple, wild, lovely Laura
Role : Stealth Physician
SL Name : Aria Eldridge
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Wardrobe Crisis.....   Wardrobe Crisis..... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 2:34 pm

I didn't respond to this?!

My current general rules when dressing myself:

1) Hair up. Occasionally I'll throw in a partially-up 'do, usually when she's feeling particularly vain. Wink If I'm outside the city for any reason, I wear a hood.

2) Veil which, at minimum, obscures the lips completely. I'm getting pickier about this, and am learning to mod veil textures so I don't have any problems.

3) Shirt whose collar does not reveal anything more daring than the collarbone, and covers at least to the elbows; I add an undershirt or jacket if it does not. I sometimes wear froofy prim sleeves but lately have taken to leaving them off as a nod to practicality.

4) I do not wear gloves as a) this is not a high city, so I do not believe the standards would be so formal and b) I'd be constantly taking the dang things off to avoid getting them bloody.

5) Moderately full skirt - I don't want the shape of my ass to be clearly visible, so no mermaid-style dresses for me.

6) Practical boots, because I'm on my feet a lot and am occasionally running. Sometimes flat slippers if I'm feeling fancy. Wink

7) I generally do not wear any jewelry with the exception of one or two hairpins (which I wear at all times). Occasionally I will wear a pendant necklace, but that's rare.

And while I can most often be found in my Caste color, I am also particularly fond of purple and white as alternative dress colors (or red, if I'm honoring or missing one of my Warriors).

Annnnnnd that's the checklist for dressing Aria!
Back to top Go down
Sheena Thirroul
Apprentice Scribbler
Sheena Thirroul

Number of posts : 25
Homestone : Northern Woods
Role : Panther
SL Name : Sheena Thirroul
Registration date : 2008-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Wardrobe Crisis.....   Wardrobe Crisis..... I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 8:16 pm

*looks the list up and down and smiles*

well, i am far from beeing a FW *plays with an arrow in her hand* but i like this list very much

i even found a nice shop in one of the places i visit, would need to search the landmark. that much i remember, it is called "ViGo" and the clothes are as far as i know very close to the books, so it might be a great addition to fit even the most concealed needs.

especially interesting for me is, that a FW not needs to wear a veil and seemingly not need to hide their hair (but usually not wears them open) hiding them is not needed but most likely done by higher castes so it might be possible to be of lower caste and not having a problem in society when not beeing concealed completly from head to toe *tinkers on plans to invade the city on her own*
Back to top Go down
Arthor
Devotee of the Quills
Arthor

Number of posts : 149
Homestone : Tancred's Landing
Role : Merchant
SL Name : Arthor Landar
Registration date : 2008-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Wardrobe Crisis.....   Wardrobe Crisis..... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 4:04 am

The landmark to ViGo Creations can easily be found in the Laura market. One of the carts there, close to the point where you tp in, shows some stuff from ViGo and gives access to the main shop.
Indeed they have nice clothing, also the tunics, sandals and helmets for men are great... so why are most men still in pants ??? Wink
Back to top Go down
Sheena Thirroul
Apprentice Scribbler
Sheena Thirroul

Number of posts : 25
Homestone : Northern Woods
Role : Panther
SL Name : Sheena Thirroul
Registration date : 2008-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Wardrobe Crisis.....   Wardrobe Crisis..... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 7:06 am

Arthor wrote:

Indeed they have nice clothing, also the tunics, sandals and helmets for men are great... so why are most men still in pants ??? Wink

they want them cut or make it more easy for us to invade outlaw-sims wich allow female non-panther-fighter (soemthing i personally say is possible, but not in the numbers we have *thumbs up for all those FW's in laura* stay like that)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wardrobe Crisis.....   Wardrobe Crisis..... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wardrobe Crisis.....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
City of Laura :: Castes and Roles :: Free Women-
Jump to: