City of Laura
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City of Laura

A Second Life Gorean Sim Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bow vs Melee

Go down 
+5
Elovar
Markos
Byron
Roonstar
Namelessart
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Namelessart
Forum Neonate
Namelessart

Number of posts : 5
Homestone : Laura
Role : Sargeant of Laura
SL Name : Nameless Barnett
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 12:54 am

Question to all the warriors here. It being a known fact that bow is the common use weapon in Gor as guns are to knives in RL, does anyone ever desire the old use of the sword in combat? Granted it would be impossible for any sim to enforce the use of melee over bows, but in personal preference dose anyone else miss using swords?
Back to top Go down
Roonstar
Forum Neonate

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 7:14 am

By the books, swords were used over bows all the time by the red caste ..... bows beeing seen as a peasants weapon, although crossbows were used at times by guards. I think it be impossible to enforce a melee only rule in SL like you say, and as Warriors we should be strong with all weapons as a conscequence.
Back to top Go down
Byron
Apprentice Scribbler
Byron

Number of posts : 46
Homestone : None
Role : Black Caste
SL Name : Byon Greenwood
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 8:11 am

Bows came in with the panthers. As a result, combat in Second Life's Gor is mainly done with bows, since that's the way raids are now done. Laura is a wilderness setting, so this aspect has been covered simply with the choice of Gorean setting and good region design. I'd wager the warriors in Laura favored the bow, because the wilderness favors the bow or the spear.

Nonetheless, I don't think swords should be forgotten. By the books, that's generally the weapon of choice, and had more respect. That's even true in Second Life's Gor, since it's generally harder to be good with a sword for most players.

I usually have my crossbow set ready, because that's what's needed most in a hurry. But I always carry my swords, just in case! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/zerogee/stats/HL2:EP2
Markos
Forum Admin
Markos

Number of posts : 111
Role : Administrator
SL Name : Markos Binder
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Bow v sword   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 9:22 am

Well, I am sure some of you noticed my announcement last night regarding the meter settings. I think it is unrealistic to make rules outlawing bows, but swords (or spears) seemed to be the favored weapons of most warriors. With that in mind, our meter settings are such that a sword strike should be much more damaging than a bow hit. For review, those settings are:
Smaller splash: Bows in Laura only do splash damage at 1.75 meters instead of the 'normal' 3.5m.
Stronger melee: Melee weapons (those that support "enhanced damage", such as Navar's) will do significantly more damage than arrows. Up to 40% damage per strike, in fact.
Weaker females: Kinda self explanatory, but reduces the benefit of panthers sniping, since they get hit harder by return fire.

Some of these may be under review as we join up with Northern Woods, but that is where they are set now. We can't *force* melee weapons, but we can encourage.
Back to top Go down
https://cityoflaura.forumotion.net
Elovar
Forum Moderator
Elovar

Number of posts : 250
Homestone : City of Laura
Role : Nobody
SL Name : Elovar Baxton
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 9:56 pm

I have to admit that Elovar and Fuzsea are big fans of clothing, lots of clothing, laughs!!; so they will often wander about the City with just a sword and or dagger because a bow doesn't always look good with what they might be wearing, especially if it is a cape.

I also have a slower computer so getting me down with a bow in a running fight is not that tough but try me with a sword or dagger sometime, especially if the area of combat is in close quarters and confined, grins....

As a Tarnsman, anything but a bow just isn't going to work very well. I do have a spear and can throw my daggers but going up against others who are armed with a bow is going to get you shot down pretty quick.

I have also found that when the lag has my already slow computer showing me the world in one second stop motion and my bow stops shooting arrows I can still swing my sword. I may not see what I am swinging at for seconds at a time but at least it will work when the bow quits.
Back to top Go down
Gideon Bellic
Forum Neonate

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 10:56 pm

It is true that swords (and spears don't forget) were favored over bows by the scarletts, though Tarl made sure he knew how to use, and used bows and crossbows.

For game purposes, a bow is going to defeat a sword almost anytime as a matter of game mechanics. In the game you can run and fire a bow accurately, try to do that IRL, and it's much more difficult than swinging a sword at a sprint.

I am pleased with the decision to make mellee stronger, and that should be benificial in confined areas such as inside a room.
Back to top Go down
Markos
Forum Admin
Markos

Number of posts : 111
Role : Administrator
SL Name : Markos Binder
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Melee v bow   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 9:23 am

I am getting involved with the push to stop the run-and-shoot bow work. There is a movement afoot to limit bows to firing while standing still, or moving very slowly, and I am all for it. The scoot-and-shoot thing needs to end, as does the "machine gun" bow that fires once a second with unlimited arrows. I want to see a quiver that runs out.

This is not just for realism sake, although it is far more real, but so the red caste of Gor, who used swords and spears, and were rightfully respected and feared, can return to that place in SL Gor.
Back to top Go down
https://cityoflaura.forumotion.net
Elovar
Forum Moderator
Elovar

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 7:29 pm

I suppose that another angle to look at is the effect of weapon damage. In RL both swords and bows are weapons that unless they hit something vital, cause you to die by blood loss and shock.

You get an arrow deeply into a leg or a gash from a sword and you aren't going to run very far. Muscle loss from a gaping wound or the pain caused by an arrow are going to be very much in the forefront of anything you as a human are trying to do; even adrenalin is only going to get you so far; eventually your wounds are going to take you down and if you don't get help, you die.

Having to put 10 or so arrows into someone just to knock them out is a joke. I know it is great fun for some to run around and shoot the hell out of everyone but it is not very realistic and I think lends heavily to the Outlaw raid mentality where the day is all about the fight and not RP.

Juz some thoughts....
Back to top Go down
Gideon Bellic
Forum Neonate

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 10:11 pm

I'm all for ammo running out, but I think there should be random boxes of arrows around that if you run over, you pick them up. As well as med packs and weapon upgrades. Just run over them and sustain your life longer.
Back to top Go down
Charnia
Apprentice Scribbler

Number of posts : 28
Role : Perfumer
SL Name : Charnia Maltz

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 7:00 am

Gideon Bellic wrote:
I'm all for ammo running out, but I think there should be random boxes of arrows around that if you run over, you pick them up. As well as med packs and weapon upgrades. Just run over them and sustain your life longer.

Gah, SL isn't Twisted Metal, cmon. lol!
Back to top Go down
gavinK
Laura High Council
gavinK

Number of posts : 190
Homestone : Laura and the Meadowlands
Role : Proud Red Caste Captain
SL Name : Gavin Kleinfeld

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 12:23 am

I would LOVE to see more sword combat. Unfortunately, as it has been stated, the environment of not only Laura, but of SL Gor in general, is one of long-distance raiding. I have rarely ever been in a situation in my 8 months in SL Gor where I was able to use my sword in an actual real RP fight. Why? Because most of the time I am being shot at by restless panthers or from a wall of an outlaw camp we are raiding.

Let's come up with some great RP ideas for SWORD fighting shall we?

**thinks hard and walks away to come back at another time with a whole slough of ideas**
Back to top Go down
Elovar
Forum Moderator
Elovar

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 12:29 pm

Ok, last nights trial raids showed the value of swords and spears over bows in a lot of the situations as far as I am concerned. The only person I capped I did so with my sword during the raid on our City back in the tight quarters of the buildings and cages of the Slavers Compound.

Laughs... I am starting to look like a walking armory but it seems it is handy to have all the weapons on ahead of the RP to avoid clunky explanations of how I suddenly came to have a sword in my hand when I was clearly only wearing a bow a moment ago.

I think I am going to work a lot more with my spear too, ...thoughts anyone?
Back to top Go down
Byron
Apprentice Scribbler
Byron

Number of posts : 46
Homestone : None
Role : Black Caste
SL Name : Byon Greenwood
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 1:06 pm

This is why I carry a full set of weapons, and made sure I can fall back to fist combat even if someone takes them all away (or catches me in the bath house!).

I've been considering a spear for a while now, because while slow they have an excellent reach. After watching the raid last night, from the splendid view on the infirmary's roof, I'm even more convinced. The girls I saw that were using them did very well. If I got anyone with my crossbow, I suspect they were already wounded beforehand. The firing delay, distance to the targets, and the speed the targets were moving, while in those conditions, made it very tricky.
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/zerogee/stats/HL2:EP2
gavinK
Laura High Council
gavinK

Number of posts : 190
Homestone : Laura and the Meadowlands
Role : Proud Red Caste Captain
SL Name : Gavin Kleinfeld

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 2:07 pm

I'm going to go get a spear today actually. I agree sword and melee, on our sim at least, is the way to go, in tight quarters. I still say the bow on a panther sim though just because their settings will be in favor of that AND the distance you need to battle at will be much greater. Smile
Back to top Go down
Elovar
Forum Moderator
Elovar

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Which brings me to a question on my bow settings....

As a Tarnsman on the wing or as a Tarnsman on the ground turned sniper I have my arrows set to long distance which seems to make them go right through someone without registering if I am close. Does anyone know if this is by design?

I went through my weapon settings last night and made a few changes such as prim arrows instead of sculpty, arrow speed now set at 60 instead of whatever default was, closed channel "0" to lower spam (my bow gets spam?) and insured once again that the dyna channel was indeed in the "on" position. Also chose the safe zone setting for the spear though I don't know if it was already there by default. The documentation is pretty limited so it is hard to know.

I don't know at this point if any of these changes I have made are going to do anything or not but will post whatever happens or seems to happen because of them.

I have to also agree with Byrons observation about the girls with the spears.. they were kicking ass!!
Back to top Go down
Sheena Thirroul
Apprentice Scribbler
Sheena Thirroul

Number of posts : 25
Homestone : Northern Woods
Role : Panther
SL Name : Sheena Thirroul
Registration date : 2008-10-19

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 9:09 pm

tal honorable red caste!

*bows slightly since she remembers the honorable ones she met in her life on gor*

i am aware of a male in a german sim who runs into combat using his sword and is a very good one with it, beeing able to mow down the enemy in most cases

i am far fro ma good fighter, especially in close combat, but i would emphasize more strong bows, but beeing unable to move much whe npulling the string for the one shot... that will most likely knock out the charging strong male making me having one maybe 2 chances to send him to the ground. additional plus for close combatfighters with such a change: shooting into the close-combat-fight will most likely have a 50/50-chance hitting your ally deadly
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bow vs Melee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow vs Melee   Bow vs Melee I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bow vs Melee
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
City of Laura :: Castes and Roles :: Warriors-
Jump to: